- Is Jimmy Howard ready to be #2 or not? Well, not according to Ken Holland. But if not now, will he ever be? He's going on 25! It can take a while for goalies to develop, but judging by Holland's comments, he was speaking in media-code for "this guy sucks."
- You can track the travels of the Stanley Cup through this site. It's pretty cool. Click on the Friday, June 20th one to see Charlie Sheen looking creepily into the top of it for some reason. Also, the fact that Charlie Sheen gets to visit with the Cup while I'm scraping pennies together for enough gas to get to my shitty job makes me want to light my hair on fire.
- Every time I see Edgar Renteria, I think of Jair Jurrjens and his trek to becoming NL Rookie of the Year for the Braves. Then I think about Edgar's 11 extra base hits in 256 at-bats, which in turn makes me think about his .352 slugging %. After that I think about his 81 OPS+, and then I think about how last year it was 125. Lest I forget, I then think about his age (almost 33), his position (shortstop) and his defensive range (edging on "piss poor"). I then think about not liking Edgar Renteria.
- The Tigers need good pitchers. Unfortunately, good pitchers don't tend to just drop out of the sky. I'm excited by their recent resurgence, but it's still going to be really difficult to make the postseason. You're looking at a rotation of Verlander, Rogers, Galarraga, Robertson, and whoever can solidify the final spot ... Willis has slipped into a black hole that he isn't likely to recover from this year, if ever. Bonderman is done. Robertson is at best reliably mediocre. Rogers is less likely to finish out the season injury-free than he is to die of old age. And Galarraga just HAS to slip up eventually right? Or am I too pessimistic?
- It looks like the Carmelo Anthony-to-Detroit rumors won't turn into anything. However, I have a feeling that this thing isn't totally dead yet. Personally I don't see how giving up Chauncey and Tayshaun makes us any better right now, seeing as how Joe Dumars is on record as saying he doesn't believe in "rebuilding". Not that getting Carmelo would be rebuilding, exactly, but perhaps you see what I'm saying. Joe wants to put the best team he can out there, and a 2008/09 starting five with Stuck-Rip-Carmelo-Dice-Whoever will replace Sheed isn't as good as what we've got right now. Honestly, I don't have a concrete opinion on what the best way to deal with Sheed would be; I'd imagine that we'd get better value for him if we dealt him near the trade deadline rather than now, but his status with the club seems completely up in the air. I guess we should keep him for now because A) maybe (OK this is a big ass "maybe") he'll be totally reinvigorated by Michael Curry, or B) if you don't think that at least one team will be open to mortgaging their future in return for 2 months of Sheed, you clearly don't know who the Dallas Mavericks are.
- Somebody at the Free Press apparently thought all us Pistons fans were pinning the hopes of next season on the upcoming draft. In comes: "Draft Alone Won't Transform Pistons". Really? No fuck? Because I really thought that DJ White and some foreign dude were gonna lead us to a 67-win season.
- Last week, former Lions coach Bobby Ross reminded us why society hates old people.
- Good news for those of us who thought Lions broadcasts had been lacking in window shattering screams that make you leap from your La-Z-Boy to under the coffee table in fear: Gus Johnson.